Monday, October 29, 2007

Art as Art

Prior to my glamorous (ahem) life as a freelance writer (just call me Carrie Bradshaw), I worked as Development Coordinator for Art21, Inc. in NYC.



Art21 produces the documentary series Art:21-Art in the Twenty-First Century for PBS. Last night, the first episode in Season Four of the series premiered after Masterpiece Theatre (actually the best time slot the series has ever hooked).

The series uses themes as a loose way to connect the artists they highlight in each episode (four artists per one hour episode) instead of a medium, subject matter, etc. The theme of the first episode was ROMANCE; proving that neither the artists' work nor the concept of romance is rigid, predictable, or formulaic. Romance featured Laurie Simmons, Lari Pittman, Judy Pfaff, and Pierre Huyghe.



Art21 gives you an inside look into the artists' minds and studios, something that a lot of people miss as part of art education. While my parents fell asleep halfway through, I was so stoked to see how all the behind the scenes work comes together in (what I believe) is one of the greatest documentary series on PBS. It was also exciting to see my name roll by on the credits!

Check out their site to find out when the next episode is airing on your PBS station , find educational resources , and watch clips of interviews from seasons past and present!

No comments: